Links & Resources
List of Podcasts that have been featured in WAFA Newsletters:
- South Yorkshire Chief Alex Johnson: Listen to Alex’s inspiring journey through the ranks of the fire service as she rose to the rank of CFO and her passion for the job and the people she leads. See link below.
- The For The Wild podcast revisits the 2019/2020 Australian bushfires with Vanessa Cavanagh, Rachael Cavanagh and Deb Swan.
Together they discuss the 2019/2020 fire season, how and why it was unlike traditional fires seasons, and the difference between cultural burning and wildfires.
Vanessa, Rachael and Deb also share the role of Indigenous women in cultural burning and offer their unique insights into what needs to be done moving forward. https://forthewild.world/liste…
- Behind the Shield Episode 349: Dany Cotton spent over three decades serving with the London Fire Brigade, retiring as Commissioner. In this podcast Dany discusses her journey into the fire service, forging diversity through mentoring, the impact of budget cuts on service and health, violence on first responders, heroism at the Grenfell Tower fire, dirty politics and much more. If you’ve never heard a leader speak with passion and vulnerability around formerly taboo
subjects like mental health and PTSD then this is the podcast to listen to.
Listen via sound cloud on the Beyond the shield website here.
- WAFA Vice President Stephanie Looi was interviewed for The Broad Experience Podcast Episode 155: Firefighter. Staring alongside Steph in this episode is another volunteer firefighter, Kassie Stevens, who volunteers with her local fire department in Oklahoma. You can listen to the podcast or read a transcript of the show
They discuss the challenges that come with the role of a firefighter, balancing volunteering with their other commitments but also the deep satisfaction that comes from helping others. Listen here.
- From Germany the B5 Aktuell “Woman of the Week “featuring WAFA President Quinn Cramer. To listen to the podcast click here, for an English translation of the first part of the podcast click here.